Sunday, September 14, 2014

pom-pom scarf



Just as Spring is arriving I've finished my pom-pom scarf. I've been knitting without following a pattern - just a few simple things like scarves and beanies.

For this scarf cast on enough stitches so that the scarf will be about 16 cm (6 in) wide. Work in garter stitch (knit every row) until the scarf is as long as you want then cast off. Voila - scarf! I made mine 180 cm (70 in) long. Then, if you want, gather up the ends by threading the cast on and cast off "tails" in and out across the ends of the scarf and pull tight to gather. Make pom-poms and sew on to the gathered ends. After a few failures I discovered you don't want to make the pom-poms giant. Big is big enough. I made mine using cardboard rings about 10 cm (4 in) in diameter.
I used Patons Cosmos 12 ply yarn and 8mm needles. But you can use any yarn and just see how it turns out.

Watching: Fabulous fashionistas - an inspiring documentary about six extraordinary older women

No comments: